Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Priestley back on track




DENNIS Priestley's quest for a top four finish in the Holsten Premier League got back on track against the current World Champion on Thursday.
Priestley won a dramatic match in Blackpool, 8-4, against Raymond Van Barneveld to remain in second place behind Phil Taylor who hammered Colin Lloyd 8-1.
The game's dramatic moment came when the Mexborough Menace, leading 6-3, notched the two points required in a double one shoot-out, after both men, including Barneveld on nine occasions, had missed costly chances at the double.
Previous to that, Priestley came out on top in the game's most crucial moments, breaking Van Barneveld in leg five and nine and scoring a "Shanghai" (T20, 20, D20) finish to put himself 5-3 ahead in the eighth.
"I'm obviously delighted to get the win but I didn't feel I played all that well," said Priestley. "It was a real contrast from last week (against Peter Manley), when I scored well but couldn't finish.
"I kept my nerves intact this week and it is such a big thing for us each week to get the two points."Perhaps I've been lucky but I'll take it.
"Priestley faces Hereford's Terry Jenkins in Glasgow tonight hoping for a repeat performance of week one when he came out on top 8-5.Jenkins defeated Manley in Blackpool, 8-2, last week to move into third place at the expense of Van Barneveld who currently occupies the final qualifying position.Current leader Taylor takes on Roland Scholten tonight, with Van Barneveld taking on Adrian Lewis and Colin Lloyd up against Manley.

No comments: