Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Practice like a Pro with Dennis

Interview with Dennis Priestley By Rob Morrison 6/03/2007


What is your current practise routine for the Holsten Premier League?
I'm practicing 1½ hours per day at the moment. One of my practice games is called 32. You start with a score 32 and throw three darts at double one. You take how many times you hit it and add that score to 32. Example if you hit 1 double one you now have 34 points. If you miss all three darts you take the value of that off the current score. So if you were on double one and missed you would have 30 points. You continue through every double on the board including bull to see how many points you can score. If you reach zero then the game is over.

What's the best score you have had?
I can't quite remember, it would be the high 600's or maybe more.
What other games are you playing? We then practise trebles, starting at ten with three arrows scoring as high as possible, then continuing through to twenties and try to get 1000 points.

Wow, do you score 1000 points regularly?
Actually no, in fact my best score is in the high 900's. I've told Barney about the game and to try and get over 1000 and let me know. Note 1485 points would be a perfect game. Then we play 14 games of 501 followed by doubles around the board, but with a twist. You throw one dart at every double in order. Any that you miss you must start with in your next combination. The person to hit every double including the bull wins!

So technically you could be throwing 1 and bull to finish?
Yes

Have you got any tips you would share with Dart Players wanting to improve?
Practise is the biggest tip possible to share. Spending more time with you balance, rhythm stance so you're ready for the matches.

Is there anybody or anything that you fear at the moment?
Big snakes or the occasional crocodile. I imagine you mean dart players Rob, and no not really.

Do you think you could win the Holsten Premier League?
Of course I think I can win. I know I'm going to improve with all the practise I'm putting in every week. It's actually a great advantage for the 8 of us.

Do you have any rituals before appearing on TV like eating certain meals or wearing any good luck charms?
Not really, I do eat chocolate or a banana ½ an hour before my match.

What are the stage conditions like heat wise in the Premier League?
Haven't found it to be a problem, Rob. In fact I've been pleasantly surprised and the new shirt helps as well.
What are your objectives for this year? I'd like to appear in as many TV finals as possible this year and win some for a change!

What is your current motivator?
I want to show people that I can still throw darts!

What are you doing these days to keep focused?
I'm not doing anything different; I'm just more determined. You've got to be getting results, I used to be half hearted when showing up to tournaments.

No comments: