Monday, March 05, 2007

BBC Press Release

Storey by Mark Barden http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/darts/6413319.stm

Adams cautious about Grand Slam
Lakeside Champion Martin Adams will only face players from across the darts divide in a new event if sanctioned by the British Darts Organisation.
The Professional Darts Corporation is planning a 'Grand Slam' in November featuring stars from both camps.
Adams told BBC Sport: "My loyalty is to the BDO, but as long as it is happy I don't see why I couldn't take part.
"If I did, if shouldn't be construed by anyone as me joining the PDC because that is something I would never do."
Adams, 50, won his first world crown in a thrilling final against Phill Nixon at Frimley Green in January.
He said: "The BDO gave me the chance to be world champion and I want to go back to the Lakeside next year and win the title again.
"I'm also very proud to captain England, and that's another reason why my commitment is to the BDO.


"The PDC have made initial contact with me about the Grand Slam event but, as the BDO have said, nothing has been finalised yet."
Adams admitted the appetite is there among darts fans for a tournament which brings the best players from both camps together.
"People are always telling me they would love to see it happen, so I'm sure it would be very popular," he said.
"The split in darts happened 15 years ago and I believe time is a great healer, but we'll have to wait and see what happens."
Relations between the two sides took a turn for the worse recently when the PDC recruited several big names from its rival.
Adams, meanwhile, is enjoying his reign as world champion, playing exhibitions all over the country.
He also recently led England to a comprehensive victory in the Six Nations Cup in the Netherlands.
"I'm certainly getting more people recognising me since winning the world title," he added.
"Mind you, that might be because I'm driving around in a van with 'Wolfie' plastered across it!"


No comments: