Friday, March 23, 2007

Premier League Results

PHIL TAYLOR clung on to his unbeaten record in the Holsten Premier League Darts by snatching a draw against Roland Scholten in Glasgow.

The defending champion went into the night without a defeat in 35 matches in the tournament's history, but was forced to battle for a point for a second time this year against the Dutchman.

Scholten led 7-6 and began the deciding leg of the match with a 180, leaving 81 after nine darts only to waste his opportunity at the finish and leg Taylor in to land double 16 and grab the draw.

"I'm pretty relieved," he admitted afterwards. "It was very close and Roland nearly got me but luckily I got the shot in the final leg."

Taylor remains a point clear at the top of the table following the eighth night of league action, held in front of a capacity 3,000 fans at Glasgow's SECC.

Second-placed Dennis Priestley also drew, in an entertaining contest against Terry Jenkins, while Raymond van Barneveld compounded Adrian Lewis' misery with an 8-3 win which moved him back up to third.

Lewis has now lost five successive games, and Colin Lloyd's 8-2 rout of Peter Manley leaves the 22-year-old at the foot of the table.

Holsten Premier League Darts
Night Eight - SECC, Glasgow
Terry Jenkins 7-7 Dennis Priestley
Raymond van Barneveld 8-3 Adrian Lewis
Colin Lloyd 8-2 Peter Manley
Roland Scholten 7-7 Phil Taylor

TERRY JENKINS 7-7 DENNIS PRIESTLEY

DENNIS PRIESTLEY scrambled a point with a last-ditch double eight to stay ahead of Terry Jenkins in the Holsten Premier League Darts table.

Jenkins looked set to join second placed Priestley on 11 points when he came from 5-2 down to lead 7-6 and seal at least one point.

But Priestley was given a reprieve in the deciding leg and landed double eight with his final dart to grab the draw.

"It was a tremendous battle," said Priestley, who came from 2-0 down early on to lead 5-2.

"I looked like I'd win it at one point but seven-all is about right. Terry took out some marvellous shots under pressure.

"He has come on in leaps and bounds as the weeks have gone on in this Premier League and he's impressed everyone - Terry's a credit to darts."

Jenkins started superbly, winning the first two legs and hitting maximums in both to open up a 2-0 lead.

He also missed double top for a 114 finish which would have further extended the cushion, with Priestley taking out double ten to open his account.

The 56-year-old Yorkshireman took leg four to level matters before a 92 finish for a brilliant 11-darter against the throw put him ahead.

He then took the next two legs either side of the break to move 5-2 up and leave Jenkins reeling.

The Ledbury thrower took his chance in leg eight to stop the rot, with Priestley missing double top for a 111 finish before Jenkins hit double ten.

He then took out 105 and stepped in to level the game, and landed another maximum in leg 11 to leave 96.

However, three missed doubles gave Priestley the chance, and he clinically hit double top to move back in front at 6-5.

Double top put Jenkins back on terms, and he had a lucky escape in leg 13, missing six clear darts at double four only to land it at the seventh attempt after Priestley missed one dart to steal the leg.

That ensured him at least a point, but he never got to the double in the deciding leg as Priestley set up his last-dart double eight.

"I got off to a good start but lost my way a little and made a few mistakes," said Jenkins. "That got to me a bit and I started to get hot on the stage.

"I thought he'd beat me well at one point, but I dug in.

"There's a lot of pressure to stay in that top four and I missed a lot of doubles, but I took out some key shots too."

ADRIAN LEWIS 3-8 RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD

RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD bounced back to winning ways with a quality 8-3 win over Adrian Lewis at the SECC.

The World Champion - who lost his second game of this year's Holsten Premier League against Dennis Priestley last week - was cheered to the rafters as he built up leads of 4-0 and 6-2 before wrapping up the win.

Lewis battled valiantly, but never recovered from an early onslaught by the Dutchman.

The 22-year-old made a controversial start to the match, attempting a 100 finish with two double tops after his first dart landed in single 20.

The first double went into the bed, and he attempted the second "blind" - only to see the dart strike the flight of his second dart and bounce out.

Van Barneveld stepped in to take out a 105 finish, and then swiftly checked out 76, 156 and 104 to leave the youngster gobsmacked at 4-0 down.

A 105 finish of bull, 15 and double top got Lewis off the mark - and he celebrated in style to silence the vociferous crowd - but van Barneveld won leg six to enter the break 5-1 up.

Lewis returned from the break to win the seventh leg with an unconventional 96 finish of treble one, treble 19 and double 18, but failed to pressure the Dutchman in the next.

A two-dart 76 finish left Lewis hanging on at 6-3, but a 13-darter put van Barneveld on the cusp of victory before he landed double 16 for the match.

The World Champion admitted: "Last week, I did everything to get my concentration and go to the gym but forgot to practice.

"This week, I've been in the gym less and practising more and I got my rhythm back.

"The first leg went all the way and I got it in the end in 21 darts, but after that I played really well.

"Adrian didn't play his game tonight. He's a world class player but he's lost for four weeks and maybe it was getting into his head."

The win put van Barneveld back up to third in the table, but crucially extended the gap between the top four and the rest.

"There's a lot of difference now between the top four and fifth place. Colin Lloyd's win means it is a big gap now."

COLIN LLOYD 8-2 PETER MANLEY

COLIN LLOYD broke a three-game losing run in style with an 8-2 victory over Peter Manley in Glasgow.

The Essex star entered the second half of the Holsten Premier League at the foot of the table, but climbed above Adrian Lewis with a confidence-boosting performance.

Early on, the former World Matchplay champion looked set to continue his recent theme of struggling with doubles, only winning the first leg on double two.

Manley landed double top to level matters and then punished misses from Lloyd to take the third against the throw.

Lloyd also missed doubles in the fourth and fifth legs but had enough of a cushion to take both and move 3-2 up.

A quality two-dart 86 put him 4-2 up going into the break, and he returned to the stage with a newfound confidence.

He hit double 16 with his first dart to move 5-2 ahead, won the next two legs to ensure at least a point and then take out a double 13 to grab just his second win of this year's event.

"It means a lot to me," said Lloyd. "The Premier League is so tough and I've never been in this position before.

"But I had a chat with (manager) Rod Harrington and he said I have to start enjoying myself again, which is when I play my best darts.

"I wasn't spectacular but I've got a result so I'm happy.

"I know how good I am and what I can achieve, and people shouldn't write me off. It's coming back to me and I know I'm capable of more."

ROLAND SCHOLTEN 7-7 PHIL TAYLOR

PHIL TAYLOR clung on to his unbeaten record in the Holsten Premier League Darts by snatching a draw against Roland Scholten in Glasgow.

The defending champion went into the night without a defeat in 35 matches in the tournament's history, but was forced to battle for a point for a second time this year against the Dutchman.

Scholten led 7-6 and began the deciding leg of the match with a 180, leaving 81 after nine darts only to waste his opportunity at the finish and leg Taylor in to land double 16 and grab the draw.

"I'm pretty relieved," he admitted afterwards. "It was very close and Roland nearly got me.

"Roland's a world class player who performs week in, week out and I knew I had to hang in there. Luckily I got the shot in the final leg."

The first eight legs of the night all went with the throw, with Taylor taking out 114 in the second and Scholten hitting back with a 98 finish for an 11-darter in the third.

Taylor landed his first maximum of the night on his way to breaking Scholten in leg nine with an 89 checkout finishing on the bullseye.

Scholten immediately broke back, with Taylor missing two darts at double top, before the Dutchman edged 6-5 up on double eight.

Taylor took out tops to square matters once more, but was punished for one missed dart at double six for a 126 finish in the 13th before Scholten secured a point at 7-6.

Scores of 180, 100 and 140 left Scholten sat on 81 after nine darts in the decider, but a time 137 from Taylor applied the pressure to his finish.

That told when he failed to leave a double, and Taylor took out 52 in two darts for the point.

"I'm happy with a draw but I will get the win against Phil one day," said Scholten, who lost to Taylor in last year's Premier League final.

"Phil didn't perform as he can do but I'm pleased with my performance and still in the hunt for the play-offs."

No comments: