Tuesday, July 10, 2007


RAYMOND VAN BARNEVELD won his first Las Vegas Desert Classic title with a 13-6 defeat of Terry Jenkins at the Mandalay Bay Resort.
The Dutchman triumphed at the Blue Square UK Open last month, and continued his imperious form to romp through the field in Las Vegas.
He averaged over 100 throughout the tournament, and made amends for his defeat in last year's final with victory this time around.
Van Barneveld knocked out defending champion John Part 11-7 in the semis before returning to the Mandalay Bay stage to claim the £20,000 first prize against Jenkins.
"I've worked hard for this tournament and I'm very proud to have won this," said van Barneveld.
"Last year I was runner-up but I was very focused for this event. I'll enjoy the win and then I've got to look ahead to the World Matchplay later this month."
Jenkins also lost to van Barneveld last Sunday in a Players Championship tournament in Las Vegas, and picked up £10,000 as the runner-up in his second major ranking event.
"I could have been 3-2 up at the first break, but then he had an unbelievable run of legs," he said. "There's nothing you can do about that.
"I believe I will eventually win a major title but the best man won today."
Van Barneveld produced another stunning and clinical performance in the final, hitting finishes of 161 and two 112 checkouts in moving 5-2 up early on.
He then won five straight legs to double his advantage, landing legs of 11, 12, 13, 14 and 15 darts.
Jenkins took three of the next four to keep himself in the contest before van Barneveld secured a crucial break of throw to move 12-6 ahead and then sealed the win with a 13-darter.

No comments: